Welcome to my brief talks about the many aspects of piano playing.
The upcoming videos are as follows:
- An approach that applies the weight of the arm is essential to a beautiful piano sound. Not only is the playing more more varied in texture, but also more supple and free of fatigue and physical pain.
- “The tender inward of thy hand.” How to practice keeping your hand loose and flexible at the keyboard.
- Using Schumann’s Arabesque to learn how to project an upper cantabile line while balancing two supporting lines.
- Looking at a Beethoven Sonata to contrast a “from the key” legato touch with a more eighteenth century “pearly” touch.
- “The pauses between the notes – ah, that is where the art resides. “ – Artur Schnabel
Concert Pianist, Leonia, New Jersey